These yummy vegan scones are irresistible fresh from the oven. Great for breakfast or brunch. Or as a sweet treat.
Made with coconut oil, or if you don’t prefer plant based, you can use grass fed butter instead.
The trick is to not let the coconut oil or butter melt and to knead the dough as little as possible.
There’s very little sugar in this recipe so you can go either way with the topping, sweet or savoury. I love topping these with coconut cream and strawberry jam.
- ¾ cup Plant milk
- 2 tbs Flax seed (ground)
- 2 cups Spelt flour
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- ¼ cup Palm sugar
- Pinch of Himalayan salt
- 6 tbs Cold Coconut oil (or grass fed butter)
- Preheat oven to 200º Celsius
- Mix the flax seed in the plant milk and set aside
- Mix spelt flour with baking powder, sugar and salt
- Add the coconut oil per spoon to the flour mixture, crumble it trough with your fingers or a fork, but don't let it melt
- Add the flax seed mixture, mix until everything just barely comes together (don't overmix)
- Dust your workspace with some flour, drop the dough and knead three times and shape into a disk
- Use a dough cutter and cut out six pieces
- Transfer to a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 22 min
- Let it cool off before cutting in half and add your favourite topping