Here’s a nice combo, orange and fig with cardamom and a hint of vanilla. All in an easy to make, gluten free and refined sugar free vegan cookie.
I guarantee, they’ll be finished in no time. I made this recipe three times now and everything was gone within a day.
You can make it all in one bowl – by mixing the wet ingredients first and adding the dry ingredients one by one.
The orange needs to be juicy and the figs sticky. If the cookie dough doesn’t come together, add another tablespoon of coconut oil. Make sure everything is well mixed and use an ice cream scoop to easily make evenly sized cookies.
Adding the nuts in this recipe is optional, but definitely worth the extra crunch. I tried brazil nuts, but i think pecan would be nice too.
- 2 cups/ 175 gr Rolled oats
- 2 cups/ 300 gr Buckwheat flour
- 2 tsp Ground Cardamom
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- Pinch of Himalayan salt
- ¾ cup/ 120 gr Coconut oil
- ½ cup/ 180 ml Maple syrup
- Zest (orange part only) and juice from 1 organic orange
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 6 Dried figs, soaked in hot water for ½ hour
- Optional: Chopped brazil nuts
- Start by soaking the dried figs in hot water.
- Mix all the dry (first six) ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Melt the coconut oil with the maple syrup, vanilla, orange zest and juice in a small pan.
- Remove the figs from the water and chop them into small pieces.
- If using brazil nuts you can chop them up too.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until fully incorporated. Add the fig pieces and the chopped nuts too if you like them.
- Set the mixture aside for about ten minutes. Preheat oven to 175°C or 350°F.
- Prepare a baking tray with a silicone cookie sheet or baking paper.
- Use an ice cream scooper to scoop out about 12 dough balls from the mixture, place them on the baking tray and flatten them with the palm of your hand.
- Bake the cookies for 18-20 minutes until the edges are golden brown.
- Let them cool on the tray and once they firmed up a bit, transfer them to a wire rack to let them firm up even more.
- Store in an airtight container.