If you want to change up your diet and start to eat maybe a little bit more healthier – breakfast is a good place to start.
The first new breakfast meal I tried was oatmeal or oat porridge. I started with the instand oatmeal flakes but quickly changed to the more flavorful rolled oats and steel cut oats – which also have more bite and are more filling.
From then on it was serious business. Nothing is better than a warming bowl in the morning. We even got a small pan dedicated to morning oat.
You can go all sorts of ways with this – change up your flavors and toppings the way you like. Frozen fruit works fine if fresh is not at hand. The warm oat will defrost it.
This recipe is a pretty simple basic one. And once you get the hang of it you can enjoy this within five minutes of cooking. It’s a big portion, but you can always bring the leftovers to enjoy as a snack later.
- 1 cup Rolled oat
- 2 tbs Raisins
- 1½ cup Water
- 1 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 2 tbs Shredded coconut
- ½ cup Plant milk (I used coconut milk)
- 2 tbs Almond butter
- A handful of your favorite fruit (I used raspberries)
- Grab a small saucepan and fill it with the rolled oats, raisins and water.
- Let it sit and soak for 10 min, or you can heat it up right away.
- Bring it to boil and let it simmer for 5 minutes or until the water evaporated.
- Take the pan of the heat and stir in the cinnamon, shredded coconut, plant milk and almond butter.
- Transfer to a bowl and top with your favorite fruit.