But this coconut lemon cake is a whole other level. Super moist, fluffy and a nice zing of fresh lemon and zest.
It does require a little more effort than the usual cakes I make. But sieving the flours and whipping up the egg whites really help the cake rise to a beautiful fluffy loaf of goodness.
If you want to use limes instead of lemon, please go ahead. Coconut lime cake sounds good to me too.
After the cake is baked and cooled off, wrap it in foil to keep it nice and moist.
- ½ cup Coconut flour
- ¼ cup Oat flour (ground rolled oat) or rice flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- ½ tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Ground vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup Shredded coconut
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 4 eggs (yolks and whites separated)
- 1 cup Coconut milk (or any plant based milk)
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 3 tbs Honey
- 2 tbs Coconut oil (melted)
- Preheat oven to 175°C and prepare a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Sieve the first 6 ingredients in a bowl.
- Add the shredded coconut and lemon zest and mix.
- Whisk egg whites until firm and fluffy with a (hand) mixer.
- Mix the egg yolks with the milk, lemon juice honey and add this to the flour.
- Mix well and add the coconut oil.
- Carefully fold in the egg whites and stir until combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 50 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean.