If coconut is your thing, make this cake!
This cake has coconut written all over it. It has coconut flour, coconut cream and coconut milk! And to finish things off you could opt for coconut sugar too – but I prefer maple syrup.
Together with some fresh summer fruits, which are in season now, this cake could be a great dessert for that barbecue party your planning.
If this is your first time using coconut flour you need to know that it’s loaded with fibre. So once you add liquid to the flour mixture, the coconut flour will absorb it all. Don’t be discouraged by this, stir very well and add more liquid if the mixture gets to dry.
Top this coconut cake with some whipped coconut cream. You can make this by scooping off the thick creamy part of a chilled coconut milk can – I like to whip this up with some greek sheep yoghurt and sweeten it with a little maple syrup.
And add all the fabulous summer fruits you can get your hands on.
- ⅓ cup Coconut flour
- ¼ cup Almond flour
- ½ tsp Baking soda
- ½ tsp Vanilla powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- ¼ cup Coconut oil (or coconut cream)
- ¼ cup Maple syrup
- ¼ cup Coconut milk
- 3 Medium eggs
- Preheat oven to 180°C or 350°F.
- Mix all the dry ingredients (first five) in a bowl.
- Melt the coconut oil (or cream) in a small pan (if needed) add the maple syrup and coconut milk and mix well.
- Add this to the flour mixture en mix well.
- Whip the eggs in a bowl until fluffy and incorporate this in the batter until smooth.
- Pour the batter into a with parchment paper prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Once the cake has cooled off you can top it with coconut whipped cream, greek yoghurt and fresh summer fruit.