Crunchy outside and soft in the middle. Full on coconut flavor – with hints of lime and vanilla. That’s what these lovely macaroons are. They smell so good fresh from the oven!
I had to make a second batch for the photo’s because the first batch was finished before I knew it. They were that good. Oh, and they’re vegan and refined sugar free too.
For best results – try to find a good quality shredded coconut. I’ve bought some before that was too fine and lacked flavor. In this recipe I used organic shredded coconut that is pretty coarse.
To shape the little domes I used my round measure tablespoon that happens to be perfect for this.
Once the macaroons are baked and cooled off, you can dip them in some melted dark chocolate for a nice finish. Enjoy!
- 1 cup Shredded coconut
- 2 tbs Buckwheat groats (or any flour you like)
- 1 tsp Ground vanilla bean (or vanilla powder)
- Pinch of celtic sea salt
- 1 tbs Coconut oil (melted)
- 3 tbs Full fat coconut milk
- Juice from ¼ lime
- 1 tbs Maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 180°C or 350°F.
- Mix the shredded coconut with the groats, vanilla and salt.
- Melt the coconut oil if needed and mix it with the coconut milk, lime juice and maple syrup.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until fully incorporated.
- Use a measure tablespoon or two spoons to form half round balls.
- Place them on a tray with parchment paper or baking silicon mat and bake for 12 minutes.
- Let them cool off and firm up before enjoying them.
- Once totally cooled of you can decorate them with melted dark chocolate.