I just had to share this recipe as soon as I had some. This coconut custard is light, creamy and delicious. The recipe was originally for a custard pie – but I changed the ingredients and had some custard dessert instead.
I will come back with a custard pie recipe soon, but meanwhile I am going to enjoy this dessert. This recipe is enough for a small dessert for four people, but if you prefer more, I highly recommend doubling the recipe. Read more about agar powder here.
- 1 cup Coconut milk
- 1 cup Coconut rice milk (or any other plant based milk)
- ½ Vanilla bean
- 2 tbs Maple syrup
- ½ tsp Agar powder (vanilla flavor)
- 1 tsp Kuzu powder (Japanese arrowroot)
- Bring the coconut milk and rice milk to boil in a pot.
- Scrape out the vanilla from the bean and add it to the pot with the maple syrup and agar powder.
- Use a whisk to mix it up.
- Let simmer for 15 minutes
- Mix the kuzu with a tablespoon cold water and whisk it in the custard
- Leave it to cool for 10 minutes.
- Divide the custard over four small glasses.
- Refrigerate for an hour or place the glasses in the freezer until the custard has firmed up.
- Garnish with some fresh fruit of your choice and serve